Welcome to my School Counselor Corner
My name is Annette Sams and I am starting my 11th year as the Sabinal Elementary School Counselor. I am very proud to announce that I am also a License Professional Counselor Intern and I am currently being supervised by David Hertner as I work towards my 3000 hours of counseling services.
I am excited that the 2018-2019 school year is starting and looking forward to wonderful year. If there is anything that I can assist you with please don't hesitate to contact me by email or by phone.
Here are some of the things I do as a school counselor:
- Counsel individuals and small groups of student to meet identified needs.
- Deliver the guidance curriculum and assist teachers with the school counselor curriculum.
- Consult with parents, teachers and other staff regarding concerns about students, needs.
- Coordinate people and resources in the school and in the community of the benefit of students.
- Participate in planning, implementing and evaluating a comprehensive development guidance and Counseling program to serve all students.
- Provide staff development and training when needed
- The coordinator for ESL, 504 and Gifted and talented screening.
- Pre-referral for speech and Special Education Testing
- Know about and adhere to the ethical, legal and professional standards
How Do Students Access School Counselors?
- Teacher referral
- Parent referral
- Administrative or other staff referral
- Referral by a friend
Who are School Counselors?
School counselors work with school Faculty, staff, students, and the community to plan,implement and evaluate the development guidance and counseling program.(TEC.Section 33.005)
What is a Comprehensive Development Guidance and Counseling Program?
A Comprehensive development guidance program assist students in acquiring the knowledge and skills necessary for healthy development. Through for program components, a comprehensive developmental counseling program recognizes that parents, school personnel and the community each have important roles to play and valuable resources to contribute in assisting students with their academic, career, social and emotional development.
Delivered by a certified School counselors, develop mental guidance and counseling programs include the following components:
- Guidance Curriculum- counselors help students develop their educational potential through skill- based lessons and units that assist in developing competence in essential life skills. Competency is developed in self confidence, motivation, decision- making, goal setting, communications, interpersonal and cross- cultural skills and responsible behavior.
- Responsive Services- Counselors intervene on behalf of students whose immediate personal concerns or problems put their continued educational, career, personal, or social development at risk. Counselor's primary task is to provide counseling to students individually or in group settings. They also consult with teachers, parents, and administrators on behalf of students. Counselors assist with screening and facilitate students referral and identification of students for special programs and services.
- Individual Planning - Counselors guide as they plan, monitor and manage their own educational career, personal and social development. Counselors assist students with personal planning, transition activities and goal setting.
- System Support- Counselors support the effects of teachers, staff,parents, and the community in promoting the educational, career, personal and social development of students. Counselor use their expertise to plan and manage their programs and to coordinate services for students.